- Search & Select : Pattern
- Edit Form : Pattern
- Boxes & Panels : Design Components
- CSS & Template Design Principles
CSS Tags are the common design elements that are shared across multiple applications within the site. Along with the layout templates, they define the essential design infrastructure of the site.
These Styleguide Templates map how IA = CSS.
This Styledguide format lets the CSS tags display their own attributes.
All members of the Project Team can quickly review which CSS tags are used where, how they're applied - and what they look like.
Search and Select page
As you can see, the CSS Styleguide pages also provide a platform for capturing behaviors, parameters, usage, and other commentary about how the page works.
Edit Form page
BTW: These CSS tags were crafted several years ago. They represent the limitations of the tools available - including my own technique - at that time. But the basic idea of exposing the Styleguide in the Templates as "live HTML" is still valid.
Boxes & Panels
The previous examples were template-specific guides. This is a more generic tool that shows styling across multiple products and pages. The links at the top of the screenshot show the range of guides available: templates, screen containers, and fields.
General CSS & Template Design Principles
- Store HTML design attributes in CSS tags.
- Embed as little HTML in the page file as possible (preferably none).
- All page templates conform to common Layout and IA format:
- TopBar at the top of the page ( global controls and branding)
- Primary MenuBar (global navigation)
- Secondary Menubar (drilldown navigation menu)
- Content (the focal information/interaction area)
- Footer (closure)
- CSS naming conventions are consistent and relatively understandable.
The Styleguide pages expose and demonstrate usage of the UI design tags that control the "look" of the site.
This online tool is available to the entire Project Team through the Starthere page on the Demosite. It allows all members of the team direct visual access to the tools we use to manage the UI.
View the case study in my portfolio: Bunge Global Markets